The Office of the Dean of Students creates opportunities that increase access, allow for exploration of advocacy and privilege, and promote a welcoming campus climate. We foster individual strengths, self-exploration, community building and collaboration; encourage personal and academic success through self-advocacy, leadership and accountability; and equip the Cal Poly community with tools to become lifelong learners and global citizens.
Programs and services housed within the Office of the Dean of Students support student learning and service through:
- Helping students manage academic and nonacademic situations;
- Consulting extensively with faculty and staff on behalf of student concerns;
- Interpreting and assisting with understanding campus policies and procedures;
- Providing student centers, clubs and organizations to foster a healthy student life;
- Cultivating a caring, supportive campus and community environment;
- Engaging supporters meaningfully to enhance the student’s experience, and;
- Creating space for the celebration of great achievements and unity, culminating with commencement.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Student Rights and Responsibilities administers the California State University Standards for Student Conduct. This ensures a fair and impartial administration of the disciplinary process while educating students about their responsibilities and protecting the rights of all members of the university community.
Student Support, Success and Retention
Student Support, Success and Retention is responsible for ensuring students’ success by providing support, advocacy and follow-up services in collaboration with other university departments, individuals and stakeholders. It provides support to academic colleges by working directly with students, faculty and administration to reduce barriers to student success, collaborating with the colleges to establish meaningful campus support services, and by providing direct, early intervention in problem-solving to ensure retention and graduation.
Students with Dependents
The Students with Dependents program provides care and support to Cal Poly students who are parents, guardians, and caregivers at the undergraduate and graduate level. The program is committed to helping students succeed, both as parents and scholars by offering programs and advocacy that enrich and support parenting student’s academic, personal, and professional goals.
Former Foster Youth (FFY)
The Former Foster Youth initiative provides support to students formerly in the foster care system. This initiative aims to create a support system that enhances the academic success and personal well-being of former foster youth attending Cal Poly.